- This event has passed.
April PTA Meeting | Budget Presentation | Yearbook Cover Vote
Wednesday, Apr. 3 at 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Yearbook Cover Contest Voting (top 10 will go on to classroom vote)
- 2019/2020 Budget Presentation
Childcare will not be available for this meeting, but kids are welcome to attend. There will be space set aside for kids to play quietly, draw, or read in the back of the library. Games and art supplies will be provided.
Note from the PTA Budget Committee RE: 2019/2020 Budget Presentation
Want to know where your PTA dollars will go next year? Please plan to attend April’s general PTA meeting for both Alki Elementary’s BLT (Building Leadership Team) and PTA budget presentations and discussion and possiblevote. (Due to this agenda item being tabled at March’s meeting the budget vote might take place at May’s general PTA Meeting unless no further discussion is needed at April’s meeting.)
New this year – The PTA Budget committee convened 2-3 months earlier than in previous years and first discussions centered around cash on hand (“reserve funds” and projected carry-over) and fundraising expectations to determine a reasonable dollar amount that PTA could grant to the school for 2019-2020. At February’s general PTA meeting, after the Budget committee made their initial presentation, PTA membership voted to grant up to $120,000 to the 2019-2020 Alki Elementary school budget. This PTA grant combined with SPS’ allocation and the monies awarded to Principal Deese for the Alliance for Education Thomas B. Foster Award allowed autonomy to Principal Deese and the Building Leadership Team in developing the school’s budget using the total “pot of money” and eliminated the 3 month “wait and see” gap between the school’s PTA ask and the final PTA Budget vote.
Notable changes in next year’s PTA Budget include:
• The number of line items dedicated to school grants has reduced from over 20 individual line items to only 4. The $120,000 granted to the school will fund: .05 School Counselor, Office/Lunchroom support, WITS (Writers in the Schools) and Teacher Discretionary. All school events and programs previously receiving PTA support are now funded from the school’s discretionary income.
• The PTA Event, Razzle Dazzle BBQ, will transition into an end of year Community Inclusion event which combines budgets and reduces those expenses from $1,500 down to $650.
• We were able to entirely eliminate website fees and a few other small operation expenses without compromising quality.
• The Self-Sustaining PTA Musical received an uptick in both the income and expense categories
The PTA Budget committee appreciates your consideration of the 2019-2020 PTA Budget. Please note that these changes do not eliminate the PTA’s shortfall (currently spending more than we fundraise.)
April 3rd PTA General Meeting AGENDA
Yearbook Cover Contest Voting
Call To Order
Approval or Correction of March General Meeting Minutes
- Treasurer’s Financial Update New Business
- Elect Nomination Committee
- PTA/BLT Budget presentation and vote
- Officer Election (president)
- PTA Open Board Positions
- New business from the floor?
- Thank you to Lindsay, Vanessa and Britney for making the Breakfast of Champions event shine.
- Class Pictures – April 18
- Bike Rodeo – May 1
- Bike to School Day – May 8
- Staff Appreciation Week (May 6-10)
- Upcoming Buy In Parties: Flip Cup Tournament (May 18)