Thank you for considering volunteering your time at Alki Elementary!
Anne Henderson and Nancy Berla summed it up in their book A New Generation of Evidence: The Family Is Critical to Student Achievement, which reviewed the existing research: “When parents are involved in their children’s education at home, they do better in school. And when parents are involved in school, children go farther in school and the schools they go to are better.”
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer at upcoming PTA Events:
Kinder Potluck Social: tinyurl.com/KinderSocial19
Auction: Join the Fun Crew (They put the FUN in Fundraising!): tinyurl.com/auctionteam2019
Caffeine, Carbs and Chaos Parent Breakfast: Looking for volunteers to help set up!
Volunteer at the School (Please see volunteer paperwork requirements below):
Kid Art Classroom Lead: tinyurl.com/alkikidart19
Sound Partners / Tutoring: 1 on 1 reading tutors are needed during the school day. Do you have 20-40 minutes one day a week to work with a student one-on-one to help them with their reading? Training provided. Please click here for more information or email our wonderful Librarian, Ms. Iba with your availability!
Volunteer throughout the Year:
Sign up to be your classroom Room Representative here: tinyurl.com/alkiroomrep2019.
- Organize the Yearbook Cover contest (Dec-Apr.)
- Make flyers / packets for students to enter
- Work with school Principal to come up with a theme
- Count votes and announce winner
- Work with Yearbook contractor to develop contract
- This is made by the contractor, but requires you to double check/sign
- Work with Yearbook contractor and staff to do Name and Photo proofs
- Get class lists from office and have teachers proof their class photos/names
- Coordinate parents to share photos of pictures to display in yearbook
- Setup a google drive for parents to share
- Design yearbook
- Little design knowledge needed. Contractor provides the yearbook software.
- Coordinate Orders
- Work with photography contractor to accept orders (online/cash)
- Sell cash/online orders after the contractor deadline
- Figure out the final sales for PTA Treasurer before July 1
Every year Alki PTA has an opportunity to come together as an organization and advocate for our kids! Vanessa (Our Advocacy Chair) could use some help to make sure that we get all the important information out to help folks stay informed on issues. This could range from formerly signing up to co- chair, or just focusing on a subset of advocacy tasks like monitoring legislation being brought up and helping to promote advocacy alerts on Facebook and E-news. There is so much that can be done! If you are interested in finding out more please email Vanessa at email@example.com
It’s a volunteer army and we’re just grateful you’re willing to join the ranks in making Alki the best it can be for our kids!
Alki has many special events which take place throughout the school year. We are always looking for eager parents to help organize a new event or carry on a beloved tradition. If you are interested in helping with one of these special events, or would like more information, please click on the links above or fill out our volunteer interest survey at tinyurl.com/PTACommunication
ALL volunteers working with children during the school day (which includes chaperoning or having lunch with your child at school) are required to complete the ONLINE application and training.
Volunteer paperwork is now good for two years! If you completed all the paperwork last year, you are good for 2019-2020 and will be notified when your two-year anniversary is nearing so that a new background check can be run.
Step by Step Instructions and Resources for Volunteer Applicants
STEP 1: Online Training – Preventing Sexual Abuse of Children and Youth
Nationally, 1 in 4 girls & 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before age 18. Through this course, you will help protect children by learning to recognize and respond to sexual abuse.
- If you haven’t in the past, complete the 17-min Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention training at www.seattleschools.org/misconductvideo
- At the end of the video, you will have an opportunity to enter your information, including email address. Once submitted, an automatic email will be sent to you (previously a certificate) – please save it to attach it to your volunteer application.
STEP 2: Volunteer Handbook
Review the Volunteer Handbook for info and tips to consider while volunteering with SPS.
STEP 3: Volunteer Application
- We transitioned away from annual paper applications in August 2018 and since then saved over 14 trees!
- Once you are approved as a volunteer in our online system, your application materials will stay active for as long as you volunteer with any SPS school. Every two years, we will ask whether you would like to stay active, and if so, request your permission to complete a new background check.
- If you need a paper application, please request it from the school office.
Please submit your complete application at least 2 weeks before expected volunteer service start date. Background checks reports take up to two weeks to clear, in rare cases even longer.
STEP 4: Background Check
SPS is committed to providing students with a safe educational environment. This includes ensuring every volunteer and staff member completes a criminal background check. More information can be found here.