As we found out this Fall and the Fall before that… the importance of early Kindergarten registration (actually any new student’s registration) is imperative to our school’s staff planning for the following year. In 2014 we had 20 MORE Kindergartners than were planned for…and the year after that 20 LESS.
Registering your child early not only allows for staff planning, it also allows teacher’s time to review and prepare for specific student needs such as allergies, medical needs, classroom accommodations, facilitates parent/school communication in preparation for individual student needs and it assists the school in preparing class placements.
Registering now will also ensure that you receive a welcome packet from Alki in May, including an invitation to the June BBQ and summer play dates.
To make the transition for your Kindergartner smooth and stress free next Fall, register early and spread the word!!!
Check out Seattle Public Schools Site: (http://tinyurl.com/gl67s7x) to download and fill out forms (or see below).
How to register for Kindergarten or 1st grade
- Download and fill out the forms below.
- Gather and copy other required documents.
- Submit all materials by email, in person, mail or by fax.
In person: Service Center address and hours in the right column
SPS Service Center
PO Box 34165
Seattle, WA 98124-1165
Fax: (206) 252-0761
Registration Check List:
- Admission/Registration form
- Fill in all of the information and sign the form.
- If you have a guardianship or parenting plan, attach any related court documents
- Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) form
- The State of Washington requires that you use the official form
- You must sign the form (student’s parent/guardian)
- Special Education form
- This form is for students who have an Individual Education Plan (IEP)
You will also need:
- Photo identification (for the parent or guardian registering the student).
- Please include a photocopy when submitting the application packet, not the original.
- Two address verification documents
- Must contain the parent/guardian’s name
- Must be dated in the past 8 weeks
- Examples include copies of: current telephone, utility or cable bills; mortgage information; insurance documents; or documents from public agencies such as courts or DSHS. Lease or rental agreements can be used if you include the first page and the signature page.
- Copies of envelopes are not acceptable for address verification
- Birth Certificate or similar document such as passport
- The document must show the student’s birth date