As we celebrate the new year, we are taking time to reflect on what an unforgettable year 2020 was. We are so proud of what we were able to accomplish and how quickly we were able to pivot to meet the needs of our community.
Winter 2020 (prior to shutdown):
- Early in 2020, Alki PTA brought families together by hosting movie nights in the lunchroom.
- PTA Reflections Art Recognition Ceremony took place during January’s PTA meeting and included a presentation, awards and a hot cocoa bar.
- The U belong at Alki movement brought the community together as members pledge to be mindful to leave a space for someone to join the conversation by standing in an open circle, or “U” shape.
- We were honored to have Astronaut Dr. Soyeon Yi, South Korea’s first and only astronaut, visit Alkiorganized by the Alki PTA Auction Committee.
- The Alki PTA Musical, Shrek Jr. had a record number of Alki thespians participate and sold out 3 shows, made possible by countless numbers of volunteer hours.
- Alki PTA hosted the Be Internet Awesome Workshop, providing families with pizza, door prizes, and resources for helping students navigate internet safety, made possible from a grant awarded from Google and National PTA.
- Over 150 students and family members participated in February’s Mathnasium Math Night, with gaming tables and door prizes, encouraging the whole family to engage in fun math experiences.
- This year’s school wide yearbook cover contest entries were displayed in the school hallway. Due to the school closure, voting was not feasible, so Alki PTA made the decision to show ALL entries on the front and back cover of the yearbook. Alki PTA voted to provide funding for delivery of yearbooks directly to student’s homes to ensure everyone’s safety.
Spring 2020 (at-home learning begins):
- The school closure brought hardship to many families, so our PTA created the Alki Cares Fund to provide much needed supplies to Alki families in collaboration with our school principal. Donations are still being collected, providing food and supplies to families in need.
- In April, Alki PTA pivoted to an online meeting structure, providing the opportunity for more families to participate in General Membership Meetings.
- Alki PTA created a private facebook group for families to share ideas and resources related to remote learning.
- Spirit Week went digital as we promoted school spirit while remote.
- Planning a 5th grade promotion during a pandemic had its challenges but Alki PTA volunteers and staff stepped up to the challenge, making it a memorable year with porch dropped projects, video presentations and a drive by celebrations.
- Alki PTA Advocacy Committee hosted multiple Town Hall virtual meetings with State Legislators to discuss funding for health care staff positions.
- PTA volunteers created a Staff Appreciation Video of compiled student photos and videos showing their appreciation and a thank you banner was hung at the school during Staff Appreciation Week.
- The “In Community Together” initiative was created to support our local community with fundraising opportunities that help local businesses, families and our school, together.
- In an effort to help our local neighborhood and greater community, Alki PTA teamed up with local restaurants to distribute meals to those on the front lines and grocery gift cards to local families in need through the Feed Those In Need program.
- Both the Mothers Day Flower Bouquet and Father’s Day Rootbeer Float sales encouraged families to support local businesses while supporting our school, with no-contact local pickup and delivery options available.
- Alki PTA adopted an Anti-Racism Resolution in June 2020, providing a list of resources
- Alki PTA recognized as a national leader in strengthening family-school partnerships with a Certificate of Recognition from National PTA.
- In an effort to support programs at Alki Elementary that focus on advocacy, race and equity, Alki PTA sold recently retired percussion instruments to fund materials for both student and adult education of anti-racist practices.
- To minimize the stress of back-to-school supply shopping during a pandemic, Alki PTA organized and assembled 300 school supply class packs to distribute during materials and laptop distributions dates. Funds raised supplied art and PE supplies to all students and free class packs were offered to any student in need.
Fall (2020/2021 school year):
- Alki PTA provided an opt-in school directory to encourage family-to-family connections in a virtual world.
- Pandemic care packages were given to all Alki staff to welcome them back to school.
- TikTok’s COVID-19 Relief Grant and volunteer hours, a Free Little Pantry & Library was built in front of the school. Through donations from our community, PTA has been able to refill the pantry with supplies during the Thanksgiving and Winter break.
- “Adopt the Free Little Library” program helps keep the library and pantry organized, well stocked, and free of unwanted items. We appreciate the time families spend to make this resource accessible to all.
- Mrs. Iba’s Mobile Library opened its doors in the fall with volunteer support from PTA, as well as funding for a hand-sanitizer station and air purifier.
- Alki PTA was able to fully fund IXL for every student through a Covid Relief grant awarded to support remote learning.
- Parent2Parent Zoom meetings were scheduled to connect parents and guardians with each other, to help answer questions or share resources.
- Started in September, families were invited to learn with the PTA each month for a Anti-Racism Challenge to further educate ourselves and encourage conversations.
- Wellness Wednesdays invited families to focus on well-being and health with such events as journal writing, creating future jars, a guided Chakra Meditation led by a local shaman, and Family Pilates.
- The Family and Community Engagement Team put together a survey to ask families how Alki PTA can meet the needs of our community. The results have helped steer our events and programs.
- Family First Fridays brought families together virtually for Family Bingo, Family Tech Talk, and Bullying Prevention with Captain Compassion, plus more are planned for the coming year.
- Spirit wear from years past was sold online at a discounted rate with no-contact pickup. An online spirit wear store with new products was created, supporting a local company, to offer shipping directly to each family’s home.
- Alki PTA Advocacy Team submitted a legislative issue (Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff) at the WSPTA Legislative Convention and was voted the Washington State PTA top priority for the next 2 years.
- Our Pumpkin Patch, Thanksgiving Sale and Holiday Emporium gave families the opportunity to shop local with no-contact pickup while supporting our school. The beautifully curated items for gifting and family focused activities such as the Boo Buckets brought a sense of togetherness.
- The Alki PTA Family and Community Engagement (FACE) team has submitted several grant applications for the benefit of all students and has been awarded three in 2020 and more to come this year.
- Alki PTA acquired USPS non-profit mailing status and sent 4,500 donation request letters to Alki neighbors asking for their support.
- Alki PTA brought joy to many kids faces with drive thru pictures with Santa and personalized Santa letters, available to all families at no charge.
- The Scholastic Book Fair once again went virtual with easy online ordering, providing funds for Alki’s Library.
- Donations were accepted and distributed to multiple families through this season’s Giving Garland, providing gift cards for groceries and household items during the holiday season.
- Do good for your heart while doing good with your heart is this year’s mantra for the Alki-A-Thon family challenge, where participants pledge to take daily family walks or other activities this winter season while raising money from pledges for our school.
- Collaborated with Alki’s art teacher for a school wide art project, a 2021 Student Art Calendar.
We are planning even more events and enrichment opportunities for students in 2021. We hope you will consider making a tax-deductible donation to Alki Elementary PTA so we can continue this important work and keep our community connected during these difficult times.