PTA Room Parents act as a liaison between the PTA and the parents in the classroom to communicate information about events, activities and volunteers needed. They will be the people “in the know” about PTA-related issues. The room parent can also act as a liaison between the teacher and the parents or do various tasks to aid the teacher at the teacher’s request. This is dependent upon how the teacher and the room parent work out the volunteer relationship and is not required but is often appreciated.
Room parents will have more work in the early fall as they touch base with the classroom families and teacher. After that they might spend about 20 minutes, 2-3 times a month, contacting families about school, PTA, and classroom activities and/or volunteer needs.
- Create a classroom email roster for effective and efficient communication. Families may sign up for PTA Room Parent communications at Curriculum Night or email their Room Parent directly to be added.
- Communicate to families about PTA issues, events and volunteer needs.
- Recruit volunteers as needed for PTA events, activities and student enrichment opportunities.
- At teacher’s discretion, assist with classroom communication, classroom volunteer needs and field-trip reminders.
PTA ACTIVITIES THAT WE MIGHT NEED ROOM PARENTS’ HELP WITH:
Any PTA-sponsored event that requires volunteers, such as:
- PTA Auction (Fall)
- Staff Appreciation Week (Spring)
- Razzle Dazzle Carnival BBQ (Spring)
- Alki-a-Thon (Spring)
ALKI PTA GENERAL MEETINGS
We encourage room parents to attend PTA meetings to keep parents up to date. When they unable to attend, we ask that they contact the PTA Secretary, Mel Spiker, email@example.com for meeting minutes and bullet points. Minutes will also be posted IN the Alki PTA Information Station (located in hallway, near copier). Room parents play an integral role in helping keep Alki families In the Know!
ROOM PARENT COORDINATOR
A Room Parent Coordinator will help secure PTA Room Parents for every classroom in September and ensure Room Parents have established a classroom email roster of participating families. They may also coordinate a Room Parent social to communicate ideas, best practices and responsibilities. Finally, they will help facilitate and ensure PTA Communications to and from Room Parents are timely and consistent.
**Would you like to volunteer to be your classroom’s PTA Room Parent or our Room Parent Coordinator? Please talk with your classroom teacher and reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.