ALL volunteers working with children during the school day (which includes chaperoning or having lunch with your child at school) are required to complete the ONLINE application and training.
Volunteer paperwork is now good for two years! If you completed all the paperwork last year, you are good for 2019-2020 and will be notified when your two-year anniversary is nearing so that a new background check can be run.
Step by Step Instructions and Resources for Volunteer Applicants
STEP 1: Online Training – Preventing Sexual Abuse of Children and Youth
Nationally, 1 in 4 girls & 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before age 18. Through this course, you will help protect children by learning to recognize and respond to sexual abuse.
- If you haven’t in the past, complete the 17-min Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention training at www.seattleschools.org/misconductvideo
- At the end of the video, you will have an opportunity to enter your information, including email address. Once submitted, an automatic email will be sent to you (previously a certificate) – please save it to attach it to your volunteer application.
STEP 2: Volunteer Handbook
Review the Volunteer Handbook for info and tips to consider while volunteering with SPS.
STEP 3: Volunteer Application
- We transitioned away from annual paper applications in August 2018 and since then saved over 14 trees!
- Once you are approved as a volunteer in our online system, your application materials will stay active for as long as you volunteer with any SPS school. Every two years, we will ask whether you would like to stay active, and if so, request your permission to complete a new background check.
- If you need a paper application, please request it from the school office.
Please submit your complete application at least 2 weeks before expected volunteer service start date. Background checks reports take up to two weeks to clear, in rare cases even longer.
Click here to complete the SPS Volunteer Application
STEP 4: Background Check
SPS is committed to providing students with a safe educational environment. This includes ensuring every volunteer and staff member completes a criminal background check. More information can be found here.