The Alki PTA Musical Needs Your Feedback!
The Alki PTA Musical is a long standing PTA enrichment program that has produced 10 consecutive years of live theater performances. With Covid-19 and remote learning, the Musical needs to adapt this year to an all ONLINE audition/rehearsal/performance process. We’re looking to collect data on family interest to determine the best program to present to Alki thespians.
Please complete this 3 minute survey on behalf of your family and any of your student(s) who may or may not be interested in participating. We also welcome interested parents to join the PTA Musical Committee to help facilitate bringing the Online Musical to life in this unprecedented year! For more information please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Alki PTA Musical?
The Alki PTA Musical is a PTA volunteer run after-school enrichment that has produced 10 successful productions since 2011! Open to Alki’s 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students, casts have ranged from 30 members up to the largest cast ever of 66 in 2020’s production of Shrek Jr.!
The PTA Musical is a self-sustaining PTA program which means each year the income earned through ticket and bake sale funds meets or exceeds the up front costs budgeted for the production. Every year, Alki PTA has contracted directors and musical directors to lead the cast – this year we are excited to again be working with Stone Soup Theater – but ALL other production roles are sourced from the talented and dedicated Alki family volunteers!
The Alki PTA Musical 2021 may look entirely different than ever before. With Covid-19 and remote learning, the typical rehearsal and performance schedule occurring November through early February, of 8-10 weeks of in-person, after school rehearsals culminating in a weeklong in-theater tech week and sold out performances with 400 theater guests is highly unlikely. For this unprecedented year we are working with the wonderful folks at Stone Soup to explore online options because we are determined to bring the exciting and enriching experience of performing arts to Alki students in whatever way possible!
In a typical year the musical volunteer needs include a core committee (the PTA Musical Committee) that consists of one or more individuals serving in the following committee roles:
- Producer(s): The main point person(s) that act as liaison with Stone Soup directors, PTA leadership and our Alki community. The producers (along with the committee) determine script selection and source script rights via Musical Theater International or other companies, coordinate and communicate the audition/rehearsal/performance process and schedule with families and volunteers, secure theater use and staffing, manage the musical website, oversee all communications, musical budget and final income.
- Set Designer: works with director to come up with vision for production and coordinates building or sourcing of set materials.
- Costume/Makeup Designer: works with director to come up with vision for costumes and makeup and coordinates a team of family volunteers to source and/or create costumes from scratch and perform makeup application.
- Prop Coordinator: coordinates a volunteer team to source and/or create all the props needed for production.
- Graphic Designer: creates the production posters, playbill/program and branding for all printed and online publicity.
- Marketing Coordinator: organizes team of family volunteers to distribute posters in the community as well as solicit sponsorships as needed for specific musical needs.
In a typical year additional volunteer roles include:
- Rehearsal Supervisors: 1 adult to every 10 cast members help to keep students focused and on task
- Back-Stage Crew: parent volunteers familiar with the show-flow that work backstage during show week and perform set changes, assist with costume changes and supervise actors backstage during performances.
- Ticket Sales Coordinator & Ticket Committee: coordinator manages online ticket sales/reservations on the musical website in the weeks prior to performances and schedules at the door volunteers to greet and direct guests and manage cash/check payments to submit final ticket deposit to producers at end of run.
- Bake-Sale Coordinator & Bake Sale Committee: Organizes bake sale volunteers and delivery and setup of baked goods to be sold before performances and at intermission. Manage cash/check deposits to submit final bake sale deposit to producers at end of run.
- Raffle Basket Coordinator & Raffle Ticket Sales: Coordinator sources donated gift items for themed baskets to be raffled off at performances and coordinates volunteers to advertise and enthusiastically sell raffle tickets as part of the bake sale and raffle fundraisers. Manage cash/check sales to submit final raffle deposit to producers at end of run.
- Photographer: professional or amateur volunteer to capture photos during the rehearsal and production run and coordinate online sharing site to make pictures available to families.
- Videographer: professional or amateur videographer to record one or more performances and coordinate how to make it available to families via online sharing sites.
- T-shirt Coordinator: works with Musical Committee to design a cast T-shirt, source printing company and manage orders, sales and distribution to families in time for show week.
- Set Support: helps to build, paint and/or source set pieces as directed by the Set Designer
- Costume Support: helps to create and source costumes as directed by the Costume Designer
- Prop Support: helps to create and source props as directed by the Prop Coordinator
- Marketing Support: helps to distribute production posters in the community and solicit sponsorships as needed
Presently, this year’s Musical Committee has producers and a graphic designer but all other roles are open! As this is far from a “typical year” the true volunteer need is unknown at this time but don’t let that stop you from joining in! If you have a love of theater and want to get creative in how we can bring theater arts to Alki students safely this year, please reach out to email@example.com! As they say… THE SHOW MUST GO ON-LINE!