Alki Elementary PTA is excited to announce that we will be participating in Reflections the National PTA Arts Program that offers local, regional, state and national opportunities for young artists in all grades to be recognized for their creativity!
The Reflections Program is a National PTA and Washington State PTA cultural arts competition. The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to use their creative talents by expressing themselves through their own original works.
Tell your story through dance, a short film, a poem or story, an original song, a photo or visual work of art!
How does Reflections work?
- Students may explore one or all six arts disciplines, including:
- Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography and Visual Arts.
- Every student is recognized for their accomplishments!
- Alki has the opportunity to advance 12 entries to the Seattle Council PTSA level, and these entries will be displayed at the Seattle Center over the Winter Break!
- Entries should represent students’ unique creativity.
- Adults are welcome to encourage students but are asked not to assist in any way with their interpretation of the theme or artistic expression.
- Dance Choreography Rules
- Film Production Rules
- Literature Rules
- Music Composition Rules
- Photography Rules
- Visual Arts 2D Rules
- Visual Arts 3D Rules
Young artists get involved through their local PTA or PTSA. A student may submit an entry in any of six arts areas. Only original works of art are accepted. The six art areas are:
- Literature – works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics.
- Music Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Photography: color or black and white, included techniques: photogram, negative sandwich, and multiple exposure.
- Visual Arts: drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling.
- Film/Video: original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
- Choreography/Dance: originally choreographed dance composition.
Participation is organized by student age and grade levels. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. This allows recognition and judging of artworks by appropriate developmental age and skill levels. The grade divisions are:
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
Entries are judged on creative ability and interpretation of the theme.
More information coming soon!
For details or questions, contact Reflections Chair, Lindsay Yost.